Friday, September 26, 2008

The Power of Prayer

So the other day Paul and I were in our Wednesday night spiritual development class. It's usually a lot of fun and we get a lot out of it. But Wednesday was a little different...we were not getting along, at all. Actually we hadn't been getting along much in the past couple of days. We are married, we have problems, not a big shocker. Details not needed but we just couldn't get on the same page and neither of us was willing to budge. So we are in this class, a couples class on how to have better love now, making your marriage a life long love affair and we are not talking, we are not looking at each other, we are not participating together, we are not happy to be there together. We get through the class (still learning a lot) and are getting ready to leave. Clint asks for prayer requests and I sit there..."do I say something, do I keep my mouth shut, say something Annie, you need it", these are my thoughts. So, hesitantly I say something. I ask the class if they could pray for Paul and I, that we are struggling right now and we just need some prayers. When I opened my mouth I figured Clint would just write it down and say 'of course'. Oh boy was I wrong. Regina is in there and if you don't know Regina, you should! She asks if they could pray for us now. "ok" I think "they are going to pray now, awesome". Again, no no no. The class gets up and walks over to me and Paul, surround us and put there hands upon us.

Side note: I grew up in the Lutheran church...Lutherans don't do that.


I had seen people do it before but never experienced it. Boy, God is amazing. What warmth and love you feel through prayer, having some strangers and friends alike standing over you with their hands upon your shoulder praying for you, it was amazing! The Holy Spirit was present, I could feel it in my heart and through the words that were spoken by Regina.

So we left church that night with prayers on our shoulders, went home, and fought like cats and dogs! I didn't title this "The power of a miracle" did I? :-) But you know what, we are doing better. We did not fall asleep that night with the problem as it was.

1 comment:

Ross and Lisa Green said...

Prayer is an amazing and powerful thing; especially during tough times and while having "many" pray over you!

P.S. Courtney's pics are wonderful!