Wednesday, November 5, 2008

thoughts on election results

I have been thinking all day of something to post, words of encouragement and just couldn't seem to put them down. I wanted to get my point out there for others to read and maybe even change a few hearts and my fingers stood still. I was getting down, thinking I shouldn't write anything then I received an email from a guy at our church. Not just "a guy"; "a guy" Paul and I respect greatly and view as a great spiritual leader to us and others around us. After I read the email I said "Thank you Jesus" - out loud almost! I didn't need to write down my thoughts, he put them so perfectly. So, the following is not my writing, but are my beliefs. Thank you Clint, you are loved!

The day has finally arrived. We have been consumed by this election that seems to have lasted forever. We have watched the debates. We have likely had many conversations with friends about the campaign. We may have even volunteered for a campaign. And we have finally cast our vote. So how do we respond the day after, once the results are in?

Unfortunately many people woke up this morning in a very bad mood. They believe that because their candidate didn't win that we as a nation are doomed, perhaps that God's judgment is upon us, or that they must now threaten to leave the country. Once reality has sunk in, many people will start thinking about how to fight against the president-elect and may even begin engaging in character assassination.

As a Christian, I have tried to give some thought as to how I should properly react to the election results.

Negative attacks and character assassinations are unChristian.
It is entirely acceptable for one to oppose political positions that a candidate takes. However, it is entirely unacceptable for Christians to impugn the character of those they disagree with. Somehow over the years we have believed the lie that politics are different and that if we want to win then we have to fight dirty. I just don't see warrant for that attitude in the Bible. In fact I see just the opposite. I see Jesus commanding us to love those who oppose us.

I have often seen Christians gathered together to pray for our country and our leaders. Even if the candidate that we did not vote for wins, we should pray for that man. We should pray for his well-being. We should pray that he prospers.

Christians are commanded to speak the truth with love.

For years I believed the lie that if I spoke "truth", that inherently I was speaking with love.

How will we speak to others, both Christian and non-Christian, who voted the opposite of us? If we are on the winning side, will we gloat? Will we revel in the angst that our opponents feel in loss? Or instead will we extend grace to those we disagree with? If we are on the losing side, will we assume the worst of the other side? Will we immediately assume a victim status? Or will we be humble in our defeat? Will we genuinely congratulate those on the winning side?

We should be willing to serve our country and our communities.
I think that there is also a tendency for those on the "losing side" to line up in opposition for a fight rather than thinking about what is best for the country and their community. Is constant partisan bickering good for our country? I would argue that it is corrosive and only exacerbates our real differences. Christians in particular are called to serve our communities. No new government programs or policies can or should take the place of people giving of themselves and their resources.

Do you believe that the government shouldn't be providing "hand-outs" to lower income people? Then you should be giving so sacrificially that there is nothing left for the government to do. Do you believe that the government should be leading the way in caring for our environment but that the "wrong" candidate got elected? Then you can lead the charge to encourage others to voluntarily change their lifestyles to have less of an adverse impact upon our world and our climate. Christians should not abdicate our responsibility to care for the poor or oppressed in the world.

God is in control.
Regardless of today's outcome, my faith will not be shaken. My faith is not dictated by such temporary things as elections. I do believe that God is in control and is working to redeem this world. Not just individuals but systems, government, societies. I also believe that we as Christians need to approach today's election with great humility and avoid the temptation to assume that we know what God's will is.

I pray that Christians will not be known for their "righteous indignation" or for their apocalyptic pronouncements. I pray that Christians will be known for their love. Love for our neighbors. Love for our enemies. And love for our elected national leaders.

2 comments:

Nel said...

Very well put! We should pray for this leader, even if we did not vote for him. God can work in his life too. And if we take an attitude of gloom and doom, where is our faith? Is that Christlike? God loves him as much as he does us! That is what we need to remember.

Anonymous said...

We are all God’s Children: No exceptions.

I applaud the wisdom and guidance that “Clint” has offered my children. For Annie to describe Clint as “…a great spiritual leader” gives me pride and honor of the openmindedness and willingness (Annie’s) to be humble and to consider and accept words from another. The prior posts illustrate the Love and Tolerance that can be extended, not only by a leader, but also be those who choose to listen and hears his words.

I am proud to be an American; therefore, I hope and pray to God that we ALL unite and trudge forth to support our country’s leaders. It is sometimes difficult for me to remember that we are sisters and brothers; however, the time is now to gather together remembering that synergy has far more power than independence of many.

God loves us; God loves us all. –DebraLee